Tuesday, December 19, 2006

How Do I know its Lyme? (Part the third)

When I got back from dogsledding, I got a call from DR. He had that voice they get when they're delivering serious news--I think its the voice we all must use when we don't know how the listener will take something.

DR "Aaah, we got your bloodwork back"

ME "Yeah? okay.

DR "Well, it looks like its postive." pause while it sinks in

ME "No shit? huh. "

DR "I think you should come in to my office where we can talk about it" He's a really nice guy and his tone was very compassionate. I was just nonplussed.

ME "Yeah. I guess so. Huh. Positive? No shit?"
I don't think I've ever had a definitive positive blood test for anything.

DR "And you tested positive for erlichiosis"

ME "Really? No shit? Huh."

I don't come off as my articulate best in this conversation.

The rest of the conversation was a variation on this theme--My bloodwork was positive AND I tested for an old infection AND I tested positive for erlichia which is another tickbourne disease so at some point I had, for sure, been bitten by a pretty sick tick.

I was not as devastated as I could have been. I've been dancing with this for too long. Nor can I really get my hopes up that the antibiotics are going to work some miracle. I've had too many doc's say to me "Oh, this will work for sure" I'd need a whole other blog to list the meds I've been on and treatments that were going to fix me.

I've gotten kind of zen about it. I can't be too hopeful because the crash is too much for me to take if it doesn't work. Been there, and it isn't pretty.

No comments: