Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Happy Birthday to Me

I was 38 yesterday. My goal is to hike the entire trail by my 40th birthday, so the clocks started ticking.

Still haven't picked out my first weekend hike, but I think for the first and last section I'd like to do it solo. Kind of metaphorical I guess. I'm thinking aound the middle of June.

Continuing to train. I went snowshoing the other night. It was wicked dark. Overcast and foggy. I hadn't actually planned to walk home after dark, but I had snowshoed down to see my friend (she lives about a mile away). This was Mon. the day New England got hit by the ice storm. Not so bad for us, but the roads were pretty sloppy and slick. I had my kids meet me at my friends house and had my husband pick up the kids on his way home from work.

I hung out with my friend for a while longer 'cause she's just had surgery and in the tradition of strong women everywhere, she just was in too much danger of overdoing it. Eventually, I extracted a promise that she would stay on the couch and watch TV. I hadn't brought a headlamp and she couldn't find any of hers, but I figured there would be enough snow to give me some visibility. Plus, I had the dog with me and she knows the way home.

The fog was pretty bad, however I got home with no major mishaps. I do have an urge to invite many of the fantasy author's of the books my daughter reads to come out and visit us. They write about characters making their way through strange woods on dark, foggy moonless nights. Yeah, right. I want to set them loose on a dark, foggy, moonless night here and say "This is what dark looks like"

No comments: