Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Shock giving way to sadness

That odd sense of surreality is wearing off, but I don't think that my mother's death has really sunk in yet. I went to the library today (this is what I do when presented with a problem) and picked up books on grief.

I've been wavering between apathy and sadness for the past three days, but I can't say that I've been "grief-stricken". It occurs to me that this is one of those changes in one's life that you never find out about till it happens. Like the secret society of parenting and the weird ways your life changes when you marry, the death of a parent is something that our society does a shitty job of preparing you for and an even shittier job of helping you deal with.

Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no shit...

Courtney said...

i agree about how society doesn't really prepare you for death. i love that movie "I heard the Owl call my name" about a priest who goes to an Indian tribe and learns how to cope with death around him and eventually his own death.