Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sugar season/mud season

Made my first pint of maple syrup for the year. My neighbor down the street tapped my trees when he found out I wasn't feeling well and hubby went and collected the sap. There's something deeply satisfying to me about producing my own food. My chickens have started laying again too. I imagine what it would be like if this were the first fresh food in four or five months.

We are also ankle deep in mud. When MFN called the ambulance for me she took me down to the nearest major street in her car because we were afraid that the ambulance would get stuck in said mud.

This whole experience reminds me of springtime in Vermont. The occaisional beautiful, glorious sunny day inserted into solid weeks of rain.

2 comments:

your friend the nurse said...

Did you boil it inside or out? I hear Warren King has a home evaporator set up. Erik hasn't asked him the details, but it might be an interesting toy, if nothing else. If one needed interesting toys, that is. I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better than the other night.

Amanda said...

I am also glad you are feeling better and now I'm dreaming of real maple syrup (not the cr..stuff they sell in the stores here). Mmmmm, yum.

Fresh food that you raised/made yourself is the most amazing thing. The bannanas and oranges that grow in my yard are some of the best I've ever had. I've learned that tree ripened bannana is much sweeter than the ones we buy in the stores. I don't care for boiled green bananna though. ::makes face::